If you’re interested in obtaining a Delaware medical marijuana card, the following steps will guide you through the process. Feel free to contact our helpful staff if you need assistance. We look forward to serving you.
Step 1: ELIGIBILITY
In order to participate in the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program, you must be a Delaware resident and have a qualifying medical condition. Patients diagnosed with any of the following conditions are eligible to participate:
- Physical symptoms of PTSD
- Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
- Autism with aggressive or self-injurious behavior
- Intractable epilepsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Decompensated cirrhosis
Patients can also qualify for a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Severe pain that hasn’t responded to treatment for more than three months (see your doctor)
- Intractable nausea
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms
Patients who meet the qualifying criteria must obtain a physician certification from a Delaware-licensed physician who has evaluated your medical history and determined that medical marijuana treatment would likely be beneficial for your condition. The physician certification form is included as part of the patient application.
Step 2: PATIENT APPLICATION
If you’ve determined that you meet the criteria for the program, the next step is to complete and submit a patient application to Delaware Health and Social Services. The application form is available online here, but please note that all applications must be submitted by mail. The main sections of the application are as follows:
- Patient Information: This includes basic contact and demographic information for the patient, along with an attestation that you agree to follow the rules of the program.
- Physician Certification: This section must be completed by your physician. It confirms that they are licensed to practice medicine in Delaware and that they’ve fully evaluated your medical condition.
- Patient Release Request: This authorizes Delaware Health and Social Services to contact your doctor for the purposes of verifying the information provided in your application.
- Proof of Residency: You must include a legible copy of your Delaware Driver’s Licence or State-issued ID card.
- Application Fee: A required processing fee of $125 is payable by check or money order.
Once your patient application is fully prepared, please carefully review to ensure that all information is accurate and complete before submitting. Any errors or omissions could result in your application being denied and will delay the process of obtaining your medical marijuana card. If your application is approved, your card will be issued to you by mail. An alternate application form for pediatric patients is available here.
Step 3: MAKING PURCHASES
Once you’ve received your medical marijuana card, you’re welcome to visit the dispensary and make purchases. Our staff will be happy to assist you in selecting the best products for your specific condition and symptoms. We look forward to seeing you at the dispensary!